An article from Edutopia on motivating students.
What to do?
- Put the focus on motivation as the objective
- Time Commitment
- There needs to be time taken away from ‘teaching’ to focus on motivation
- Reinforcement Through Repetition
- Working on motivation needs to be done regularly
- Effective Motivators
- Students need role models. Adults are poor role models. Peers, particularly older peers, are better.
- Fun for the Students
- The motivational activity needs to be fun
How to do it?
A weekly 15 minute chat between younger (unmotivated) and older (motivated) peers. That’s it!
This is based on work by http://www.ongiantsshoulders.org/